 Robotics / 21951
RE: IR Tower and Hyperthreading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:14:09 GMT

At 10:41 AM 1/6/2004, you wrote:
Here is what LEGO should be doing right now:

1)  Putting something up on their website that acknowledges there is a
problem, that they are working on it, and a planned target date for
resolution.

The problem is that they never promised to support XP. The only thing
listed is 98/ME. In fact, they explicitly say 2K and NT are _not_ supported.

In the meantime, those of you having problems could try disabling
Hyperthreading in the BIOS, which should effectively disable it in
Windows XP.

Everywhere this is mentioned, someone says you have to reinstall windows
after doing this...is that true?

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated! :)

~Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Thorn [mailto:buachaille@neo.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 9:36 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: IR Tower and Hyperthreading

At 08:58 AM 1/5/2004, you wrote:
So, the reason I'm writing all of this is to ask...have • any of you
experienced this problem or run into it before? Have you • ever been
able to fix this? Are there options you can recommend • (besides using
NQC or another language - remember that these newbies • probably need
the graphical starting point)? Is there something these • guys can do
besides reinstall XP with hyperthreading disabled?

Hi Mike,

All I can do is to confirm that hyperthreading can cause very subtle
bugs. We experienced that lately in our company in an ADSL board
driver, a problem appeared when used with high speed HT machines (>=
3GHz). It worked flawlessly on a multiprocessor platform or
with a HT machine at speed < 3GHz...

Unfortunately there's no consistency here. All of our problem
machines are < 3Ghz, but usually > 2Ghz.

Rob Limbaugh was right when he said LEGO Tech Support isn't
the greatest.
As a Host in the Forum I'm supposed to direct problems like
this to the Techs. So somebody called the numbers and all
they ended up with was a recorded message on how to install
the IR Tower. Not even an option to speak with an actual live
human being.

If any of you are interested in working on this but don't
have access to a hyperthreading machine, just let me know and
I should be able to connect you up with someone who is having
the problem.

~Mike