 Robotics / 21943
Re: IR Tower and Hyperthreading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:36:00 GMT

At 08:58 AM 1/5/2004, you wrote:
So, the reason I'm writing all of this is to ask...have any of you
experienced this problem or run into it before? Have you ever been able to
fix this? Are there options you can recommend (besides using NQC or another
language - remember that these newbies probably need the graphical starting
point)? Is there something these guys can do besides reinstall XP with
hyperthreading disabled?

Hi Mike,

All I can do is to confirm that hyperthreading can cause very subtle bugs. We
experienced that lately in our company in an ADSL board driver, a problem
appeared when used with high speed HT machines (>= 3GHz). It worked flawlessly
on a multiprocessor platform or with a HT machine at speed < 3GHz...

Unfortunately there's no consistency here. All of our problem machines are
< 3Ghz, but usually > 2Ghz.

Rob Limbaugh was right when he said LEGO Tech Support isn't the greatest.
As a Host in the Forum I'm supposed to direct problems like this to the
Techs. So somebody called the numbers and all they ended up with was a
recorded message on how to install the IR Tower. Not even an option to
speak with an actual live human being.

If any of you are interested in working on this but don't have access to a
hyperthreading machine, just let me know and I should be able to connect
you up with someone who is having the problem.

~Mike