 Robotics / 21921
Re: touch sensitive sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:36:27 GMT

Instead of pressing the touch sensor directly, you could use a lever to
press it, thereby giving more precision.

"Øyvind Steinnes" <phoenix@online.no> wrote in message

"Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:

Then you have a difrent set of switches than me. Mine only gives out a
shorten curcuit when pressed and a open connection when not pressed. • There
are no resistance between the two stages. This are switches from the • 1.5
set, maybe the new one from the 2.0 set is diffrent? Have to take • apart
my
robot and test them too....

The way I'm testing them is by connecting a multimeter to the switch
connector and slowly press the button in. It just goes from nothing to • 0
ohm
in no seconds.

Are you sure your multimeter is up to the task? I have measured numerous • touch
sensors (from 1.5, 2.0 and cybermaster), all of them have a high value • when not
pressed (open for RIS 1.5 and 2.0, 10 to 15KOhm for Cybermaster that • have
parallelded resistor). When pressed all of them decrease to about 500 • Ohm,
the
variation occurs on a 0.05 mm course. See the variation curve here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=514059 (folder here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=56439)

Philo

Thanx for the info. But 0.1mm is not much travel distanse and the only
usable area is around 0.005 to 0.02mm and that is WAY too sensitive.
Does anyone know exactly what the RCX switches are made of? The one I • opened
(from the 1.5 set) looked like a carbon-based (not sure if that is the
exactly right English word for this) switch where the contact is made of
carbon based plate that makes contact between to copper plates. That will
also explain why there is no instant contact, the carbon is on a rubbery
form of plate that will make contact in a small spot until it is pressed
firmly in.
This I know from the radio's and TV's I have repaired so far...

But this type is no use for a robot's tuching fingertips. It will be too
difficult to find the middle value, e.g. the value changes to quickly...

What I was intrested in was a switch that worked in a more linear fashion
from lets say 10 kOhm to 100 Ohm or less from fully open to fully closed
switch.