 Robotics / 21905
Re: touch sensitive sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:42:37 GMT

"Chris Phillips" <drvegetable@attbi.com> wrote in message
news:HqBKq4.A5I@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.robotics, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:

"Jona" <jona@24tooth.com> wrote in message • news:HqB44J.204J@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.robotics, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:
<SNIP>
There are many aplication you can use this type of sensor for. Like a • robot
that should grip something, and you dont want it to grip to hard. Use • those
tuchsensitive sensors on the "fingertips" on the robotic arm and it • can
"feel" when the fingers are tuching something and know how hard its • grip is.
Another aplication is a piano. Tuchsensitve sensor under each keys, • and the
piano knows how hard (fast) you have tuched the keys and kan make the • volume
of the tones acording to that.

I've looked around on websites but cant find any sensor like this.
Is there one already out there someplace? Or maybe someone is up to • the task
to make some? Do this sounds intresting at all?

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the buttons on the PlayStation 2 • controler
all analog? They seem to do exactly what you are talking about, but • maybe there
is some better processing going "on under the hood"? I wonder if you • can pick up
an old controller off of e-bay and get at its guts?

Jona
LEGO Robotics Group of Ann Arbor - http://www.24tooth.com

Good idea!
The button on the PlayStation 2 controller is analog, but I do not know • how
thay have made it that way. It could be a variable resistor that are • under
those button. Another way is to determine how fast you are pushing the
button by taking the time from one switch activates to another switch.

What I was looking for was a microsize analog button. In the size of a • 2x3
brick (or smaller if it can be done). Either prefinished inside a brick • or I
maybe have to make one myself.

The touch sensors that come in the RIS set already work as you describe, • and are
even about the size of a 2x3 brick.  The touch sensor has a variable • resistance
that changes as more force is applied to the button.  You just have to • read the
raw port value instead of configuring the port to have a boolean 1/0 touch
sensor.  Then you can read a value that varies as you apply more force to • the
touch sensor.

Hope this helps!

- Chris

Then you have a difrent set of switches than me. Mine only gives out a
shorten curcuit when pressed and a open connection when not pressed. There
are no resistance between the two stages. This are switches from the 1.5
set, maybe the new one from the 2.0 set is diffrent? Have to take apart my
robot and test them too....

The way I'm testing them is by connecting a multimeter to the switch
connector and slowly press the button in. It just goes from nothing to 0 ohm
in no seconds.

Reagards
Øyvind Steinnes