 Robotics / 21888
21887  |  21889
Subject:
Behavior of the Roomba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:19:11 GMT

Thinking about the one major robotic invention that's creeping into
homes these days, it doesn't seem too complex an algorithm.

The behavior seems to be as follows:

1) It starts out in an outward spiral motion
2) When it encounters a wall / stairs it moves in a straight line in a
different direction until (2) or it encounters the IR "wall", upon which
this action is repeated.

I have two questions:

A) Are these the only trigger events or are there more that I'm overlooking.
B) Does anybody know how the angle the Roomba moves in after
collision/edge detection is decided?

I thought I'd build a lil RCX-based Roomba-behavior clone in the
morning, just for kicks.

N.