 Robotics / 21869
Re: I was thinking about bipedal walkers this morning and....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:10:02 GMT

Yes, I did a prototype using pneumatics as muscles.  It worked semi-well
- the thing walked somewhat, although in a very stiff gate.  The main
problem came from using pneumatics.  I couldn't keep the pressure high
enough to swing the legs back out before the walker fell on itself.
Also keeping the thing balanced was a problem, as the legs were only one
beam thick and a RCX was placed on a movable carriage on top. Using
motors was impractical due to the increased weight and lack of precise
control (easily).

I think it would be possible using wider legs - that prototype is half
done, but I ran out of really long (14 stud?) beams (~16 for each leg,
~10 for the body), as well as shorter 6 stud ones for the knee joint.

There are videos on the internet of passive-kinetic machines that can
walk using this basic technique, Google can find some links.  If anyone
wants, I'll see about finding some webspace to host the videos (~500k
each, fairly poor quality).

Andy

Mark Tarrabain wrote:

Consider the way we walk... we start by effectively starting to lean
slightly forward, and we swing a leg some distance in front of ourselves
to stop from falling.  We then start to bring the other leg forward as
we reupright ourselves and repeat the process, each time stopping
ourselves from falling with a leg that we bring forward.   If we
alternate legs, it is called walking and if we use the same leg each
time, it is called limping.

Has anyone ever tried to build or design a bipedal walker that imitates
this form of motion?  I'm thinking that it probably wouldn't even be
possible to do without flexible knees.  Is this level of sophistication
even implementable in LEGO to the point that it's genuinely useful and
not just a proof-of-concept?

Mark