 Robotics / 21785
Re: an idea, can someone tell me if this is possible/been done before/etc?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 04:37:42 GMT

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Steve Baker wrote:

Gordon Elliott wrote:
On "complexity", I would point out that the computational power of the
neural pathways of the house fly thoroughly exceeds the computational
throughput of our most massive supercomputer clusters at the moment.

That was true 20 years ago.

A housefly's brain contains just 400 neurons.  Your PC can easily simulate
a 400 neuron neural network at faster update rates than biological neurons.

The problem isn't the raw computational power.

Roger doger on that. I understand that C. Elegins (sp?) is the current top
project goal for this sort of stuff. Something like 10,000 neurons.

-- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com