 Robotics / 21759
Re: an idea, can someone tell me if this is possible/been done before/etc?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:27:27 GMT

On "complexity", I would point out that the computational power of the
neural pathways of the house fly thoroughly exceeds the computational
throughput of our most massive supercomputer clusters at the moment.

True "adaptation" would require hardware functionally capable of learning
and feedback, and that can occur at various levels of complexity. All of
them will be light years away from the actual biological spider or house
fly, but interesting effects can be demonstrated with even simple equipment.

By the way, as humans we solve seemingly combinatorially complex problems in
fractions of a second all day long. Look around your house. Judging how
walls intersect to get an analysis of which are convex and which are concave
corners is an NP complete problem--yet we just look up and get the answer
immediately. (And there are optical illusions that take us time to settle on
one of several interpretations, and when we finally see such an
interpretation we have an "oh yea" moment as a consistent pattern emerges.)
The reason we can solve such problems quickly is that there are many clues
that allow us to resolve these in more or less linear time in most cases.
(So put me in the liner time group, I've only got one lifetime to do my
'computing.')

-- Gordon Elliott