 Robotics / 21507
21506  |  21508
Subject:
Amid crowds, I wish to ask a question..... (RCX IR communication emulation)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:45:02 GMT

Ok, here’s my dilemma:
I have a Compaq Ipaq 3835, RCX 1.5, Lego remote, and PDAwin learning remote
control on Ipaq, and VitoTechnology o-Scope software (IR scope on the Ipaq).

I had both pieces of software learn the “beep” command from the Lego remote, and
when the software trys to play back the signal, the RCX will beep once, and only
once no matter how many times the software plays back the signal.

Next I found that if I push the “beep” button on the Lego remote, it doesn’t
beep. One extra push and the RCX responds by beeping. Now, what I have found is
that if I send the signal from the Ipaq, the RCX will beep once, then if I use
the lego remote once to “make it beep”(which it doesn’t) and then use the Ipaq
again, the signal gets to the RCX and it beeps once more.

I am assuming that my Ipaq missed some closing or opening signal that
activates/deactivates the communication, and somehow the “Lego remote” sends the
missing signal and fixes the connection for one signal from the Ipaq.

Does anyone have a clue on what’s going on here?

Also, the O-scope software allows me to see the captured IR signal, how can I
decode it to understand what is being sent?
(I’ve read that there are at least two formats used in PWM, and possibly more)

Thanks,

Timothy