 Robotics / 21457
Re: Have you guys seen Meccano's "RCX" ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:16:02 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:

Seriously, we all know there's a need for something bigger (not necesarily better)
We've had discussions ranging from one "superboard" to smaller collections of
smart controllers on a single power bus.

Well, if it ever gets out of vapourware, this (http://jcx.systronix.com)
might be promising.  They say it will be in production this december,
but after seeing the production date getting pushed back a number of
times already, I've stopped holding my breath.

Another option that's already here today is the handyboard
(http://www.handyboard.com), you can glue LEGO plates or tiles on the
bottom of the case to easily attach it to stuff.

I'd like to be a LEGO purist, really I would, but the RCX is just far
too limited to do stuff that is really interesting (yeah... I know you
can do a lot by multiplexing the inputs and hey, there's always the
thrill of the challenge of working with such limited hardware, but I'm a
computer programmer.  I'm genetically predisposed to being as lazy as
humanly possible.  Gimme a break. :)

The biggest gripe I have with both of these more advanced solutions is
that there's no LEGO-ish enclosure that would make them viable to really
just play with and have fun.