 Robotics / 21365
Re: End of Mindstorms :-( - I'm very skeptical
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:14:28 GMT

I spoke with Lego here in the US last week looking for Mindstorm
accessories.  The product HAS been discontinued and a new product (details
unknown) will be coming out for the 2004 holiday.

Rick

From: Bruce Boyes <bboyes@systronix.com>
To: "chrismaker" <chrismaker@noos.fr>
CC: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: End of Mindstorms  :-( - I'm very skeptical
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:59:31 -0600

At 04:40 PM 10/4/2003 +0000, chrismaker wrote:
Hi Everybody, I have the badest new of the world:

LEGO stop Mindstorms products.

I'm very skeptical about this...

Last week I was in LegoLand at Billund, Denmark. They are adding _more_
interactive Mindstorms exhibits, based on the Mars Lander. I also had
meetings at Aarhus University with people who work in the Lego lab there:
http://www.legolab.daimi.au.dk/
and conducted an all-day seminar on JCX and use with Legos.

We left three production JCX systems there, in Lego trackbot chassis, with
working sonar navigation. Here's the start of a web page detailing these,
with photos and video:
http://jcx.systronix.com/appnotes/SonarTrackbot/SonarTrackbot.html

At no time was there any mention of RCX being discontinued. In fact it is
very much alive and well and is being used in a number of educational
programs as you can see at the legolab link above. I especially like the
Feelix facial expression robot:
http://www.daimi.au.dk/~chili/feelix/feelix_home.htm

We've just purchased several for use with JCX, and had no trouble purchasing
RIS 2.0 systems at local ToysRUs. They are available from Lego.com.

So until there is some official word from Lego I'd delay a funeral for RCX
or Mindstorms. As Mark Twain said "The reports of my death have been greatly
exaggerated".

But a related question - is the Robosports add-on still available? I can't
find any stock online at Lego, Amazon, and other Lego dealers.

Regards

Bruce

Share your photos without swamping your Inbox.  Get Hotmail Extra Storage