 Robotics / 21339
Re: Firmware dependent?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:48:25 GMT

Hi Romano,

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Romano J M Silva) writes:

I am new to the list and this is my first post. I read from
htp://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/ that there is a way to send packets
to the RCX through the IR tower. I also read that nqc can send raw commands
to the RCX.

I would like to know wheter I need a firmware in the RCX to get these
commands working

yes.

and, if so, are these raw commands firmware dependent or

Yes.

can I use them with BrickOS or LEGO's native firmware installed?

They are for the original firmware from LEGO,
I don't know how BrickOS reacts when no program is running.

As for Lejos, without a program loaded it reacts only to the command
sent by the Mindstorms remote control when you press P1,
which starts the currently selected program.

In a running program you are free to react to IR messages
in any way you like.
That should be the same in BrickOS, but not in the LEGO firmware.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/