 Robotics / 21171
21170  |  21172
Subject:
LEGWAY software questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:22:53 GMT

Steve,
  I've got some questions about the LEGWAY software.

  I've read it many times, and spent many miles on the road to and from
BrickFest reading the code.

  Why is the motor speed array 32 entries instead of four?  Since the array has
4 groups of 8 identical values, couldn't you reduce the array size by shifting
the index to the right 3 bits?

  Part of the index you use into motor speed array is sys_time & 7.  I do not
understand this at all.  I can only imagine that over time you try to force
migration from one motor drive state to the next.

  I thought a lot about your explanation of why you don't need an absolute
center value.  You look at two readings of the EOPDs and determine the
difference.  If the difference is 0, then we are not falling.  If the difference
is non-zero then we are falling, and we turn on a motor to prevent this.  This
makes sense.  I'm guessing that you check the EOPDs every 50 ticks, rather than
more freuqently, so you can get a reasonable amount of difference in EOPD
readings.

  When you fired up LEGWAY for me, you used the remote to reduce the amount of
oscillation due to the balancing process.  What value do you change in the code
to do this.  Is it the divide factor used to convert EOPD differences to motor
speed?

  When I download the legway code from your web page, it comes across as HTML,
and the end of lines are all gone, and the system includes are dropped, because
they start with < and end with >.  Could you please email me a copy of your
legway code (and any new versions of the code if you are willing.)

Thanks,
Kevin