 Robotics / 21138
21137  |  21139
Subject:
Porting LEGO Robotics Kit.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 13:00:32 GMT

Dear sir/madam,

During the last week at our laboratory at the National Technical University
of Athens, Greece, we have become interested in using the LEGO Robotics Kit,
in order to allow students that take the course of "Computer Vision &
Robotics" to have a general idea on programming for automation.

However, we use only C/SDL for programming purposes, plus we use a project
management system, developed by us, that keeps track of the projects (i.e.
who has booked it out/in, backups,...), allow compilation of the project
depending on the nature of the project (dll, lib, exe, module, driver,
system, interface, test case, package, protocol, ...)

The issue that we want to resolve, before proceeding, is how we can
integrate the Robotics programming kit to our environment. Currently, I have
downloaded the MindStorms SDK 2.0 and I had a look at the pdf files that
explain what has to be done in order to program the RCX. Nevertheless, what
it's not mentioned in these documents, is what compiler we should use, in
order to create the firmware, how we can download executables to the Robot
Microcontroller. Additionally, we need to know how the LEGO built-in events
(like timeouts) can map onto SDL signals, and vice-versa how SDL timers can
map to in some way to LEGO timers.

What we need from you, is to provide us with as much information as
possible, for the afore mentioned issues.

Regards
Alkis Yiannakoulias