 Robotics / 21128
Re: How many licks DOES it take to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 03:05:49 GMT

Bob Fay wrote:

Sometimes great things come from the simplest concepts. This is  one
sensational machine. I bet this got a very good grade from a proud teacher.

Yeah Oliver got top marks in the sixth grade - also the award for best
scientific invention and at the end of they year, he was awarded "Kid
most likely to become a Mad Scientist and Take Over The World".  :-)

What I liked was that of all the hundreds of things kids did for that
science fair, this was the only one that actually answered a question
in a reasonably scientifically valid manner.  It's also kinda hypnotic
to watch!

Incidentally, Cherry Tootsie pops last (on average) 30 less licks and
Grape pops about 50 more.  The overall average (over more than 100
pops we licked) was 332 - but there was remarkably little variation
within each flavor of pop.

What it really needed was some electronic way to detect when it got
to the center of the tootsie pop - it's a pain to have to watch it
time after time.  He ran out of time to do that...and it would have
been difficult anyhow.

> Congratulations! Fine work!

Oliver thanks you.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>