 Robotics / 21105
Re: Pneumatic Linear-to-cyclical Converter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:01:19 GMT

Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Hi Bauchaille,
I'd guess that you envision hooking the pistons to the top of each handlebar,
along with switches that make the pistons altername from open to closed and
back.

Yep, that's it. Actually, the switches could perhaps be located
somewhere else? I'm not familiar enough with pneumatic engines to know
how the switch reversal mechanism works.

This would indeed make the pulleys turn.  The trick here is the fact that
the pistons effectively attach to the large pulley offset by 90 degrees (the
role of the blue cams).

Right. Actually, in the model of this I'm working on, I did indeed use
the small pulleys instead of cams. Actually, the real model is turning
out quite a bit better than the Cad. A little sturdier, slightly
different design.

If you were to replace the cams with large pulleys, and hook the pistons
direcly to the then you would have the same mechanism but in a more compact
form.  This is the key to pneumatic engines/motors as can be seen:

OOOhhhh...*flash*. I get it. You're saying I could bypass the linkages
altogether and just skip directly to the pulleys, if I'm trying to
convert linear-to-cyclical. Obviously I would need to keep the linkages
for cyclical-to-linear, but by that time it would be silly to use
pneumatics to do what a motor could do faster and just as well.

I see. I missed the the "optimisation" step in my model. :-) Thanks for
pointing that out to me.

Good job recognizing this fundamentally important mechanism.

Like I said, y'all are probably bored stiff, but it was a breakthrough
to me, anyway. ;-)

Thanks,

--
Mike Thorn