 Robotics / 20976
Re: The latest rage in pneumatic computing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:21:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Rob Limbaugh" <rlimbaugh@greenfieldgroup.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

Reading memory would require something like a bank of switches that are
flipped
by the push-rods or pegs that are protruding far enough.

Writing RAM memory could be done by pistons forming the output of gates
simply
pushing against the movable axles from one side or the other of the memory
cell.

Actually, I was thinking that what you could do is make LEGO-ish (maybe
one dimensional) "punch cards".  And any program's output would be

What about 1x1 beams for a ROM punch card?  Of course, combinations of 1x2
beams with 2 holes could be used, as well.

For RAM (at least an all LEGO solution), I can envision a memory "drum".
When bits are to be written, technic pins are placed in beam holes.  One
side of the drum would be the "write" head, the other side the "read" head
using a levered mechanism... the first LEGO "hard drive".

I think that it is harder to make a machine that pops a pin into a hole than it
is to make a machine that pushes a pin though a 1x2 beam with axle hole.  The
axles never leave the hole.  You just have to slide them to one side of the
brick to the other.

The same mechanism can be used for RAM or ROM.

Kevin

- Rob