 Robotics / 20970
Re: The latest rage in pneumatic computing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:27:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Steve Baker wrote:
I wonder if there are savings to be made by building the adder from scratch
rather than out of standard XOR/AND/OR gates.

I thought so too, so I designed one.  See elsewhere in this thread.

The big remaining issue is storage - both RAM and ROM.

Yeah, I thought so too.

Yes.  I've been pondering this for a while.  I had thought of using "long pins
with friction" pressed into 1x10 technic beam.  It gives you 9 holes.  You'd
have 8 bits plus parity (I doubt I'd use parity though)

Whilst you can theoretically build this out of flip-flops - and
flip-flops out
of standard 2 input logic gates - I can't help feeling that having more
than
a few dozen bits of storage would consume Lego's entire production of
pneumatics!

If you want to build something that can actually run moderately interesting
programs, you'll need a LOT of ROM and at least a couple of bytes of RAM.

If each bit could be something like an axle pushed through a hole in a beam
with a '1' and a '0' being encoded by the amount of rod sticking out of
the hole,
then it would be perfectly feasible to build many hundreds of bytes of
storage
using only the Lego that most AFOL's have in their collections.

Yes.  Mark had proposed this and I like it a lot.  Sliding the axle through an
axle hole is much easier than sticking a pin in a hole.

ROM could be built identically to RAM but with fixed pegs instead of
movable axles

The question is how to address it, read it and write it.

Since we can presumably build a pneumatic 'stepper motor' that would
move a long
stack of beams up or down one row for each change to it's input, we
could step
through a list of instructions stored in 'push rod' memory quite easily.

I have already built a reversible stepper pneumatic motor, just with the
intended purpose of rotating memory.

This is almost exactly what I was envisioning!!!   Cool.  Glad to know
I'm not the only one psychotic enough to come up with a cockamamy idea. :)

With a counter built from a multi-stage pneumatic adder, one could
contemplate
building a 'jump' instruction.  You're also going to need some kind of
pneumatic 'shift-register' to hold the results of additions carried out
with
your one-bit adder circuit.  (Either that or a LOT of those adder
circuits!)

Reading memory would require something like a bank of switches that are
flipped
by the push-rods or pegs that are protruding far enough.

Writing RAM memory could be done by pistons forming the output of gates
simply
pushing against the movable axles from one side or the other of the memory
cell.

Actually, I was thinking that what you could do is make LEGO-ish (maybe
one dimensional) "punch cards".  And any program's output would be
"printed" onto another "punch card" for output.  The problem with this
is that I don't see any simple way to implement this without using a
light sensor.   Pneumatics can certainly push the axles out of the
holes, but I'm not sure how you'd use them to read without possibly
punching more holes in the "punch card", and losing any chance of
reading what was there in the first place.

You can punch the cards by pushing the same direction as the holes.  You could
do a non-destructive read by pressing the axles perpendicular to the holes.

The question becomes one of how 'pure' you'd like to build your pneumatic
computer and whether you consider the use of geartrains and even possibly
electrical motors to be 'cheating'.

I'd say it's not cheating as long as you're not using the RCX or some
other microcontroller to do the work.  Motors and gears are okay as long
as they are controlled by pneumatic and mechanical logic.

I'd like to stick to pneumaticically powered stuff, but that does not restrict
me from using gears, especially with pneumatic stepper motors.

Mark

Kevin