 Robotics / 2063
2062  |  2064
Subject:
IR transmit/receive - WOW!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 10:58:16 GMT

I just completed my first robot, and was more than little dismayed to discover
that my wonderful creation not only made it difficult to access the on/off and
other switches on the front of the RCX, but also covered up the IR port on the
top.  (Although I am a whiz at the software side of things, I have come to the
realization that I have NO mechanical aptitude whatsoever.  <sigh>)

My robot was built with the RCX standing vertical, and I crafted a rotating
head on top so it could "look around" while moving.  Unfortunately, I added
the motor right on top of the IR port.  (There's a bit of the reddish receiver
visible, but it's mostly covered.)  After a bit of cursing I carefully took
the head and neck off the robot (sending small pieces of these appendages
flying across my desk <sigh>), then lifted the transmitter up so I could
"point" down to the top of the RCX.  After the download I reassembled the
robot but quickly discovered some bugs.  That meant taking it apart again to
download the program tweaks.  <sigh>

Anyway, quite by accident, I made the discovery that I do NOT have to hold the
transmitter up to point at the top of the robot -- and not only that -- I
don't even have to take the robot apart!  It works fine with the receiver 75%
covered, and with both pieces sitting on my desk.  I'm thrilled and amazed!!!
(I posted this note because I thought the information might help others...)

-- John