 Robotics / 2042
Re: Automatic Gain Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 03:05:51 GMT

In article <015b01be351d$3b82bca0$42b0acc1@fam.-van-dam>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (B van Dam) wrote:

My Cybermaster allows changing and reading AGC, automatic gain control.
Jeremy Weatherford wrote me:

On the Automatic Gain Control subject, a cursory web search on Altavista
seems to indicate that it would be related to the RF communications
somehow.  I suppose the number could be related to the signal strength.

but then we still couldn't figure out it's usage. Anybody know what this is
and what you can do with it?

Yes, the AGC number should relate to the strength of the received signal.
There's probably a variable gain amplification section that is controlled
by average signal strength.  This has the effect of "normalizing" the
received signal making it more suitable for carrying information.  I
suspect reading the AGC value simply reports the level of this control
voltage - in effect a signal strength indication.

Reading the AGC value should give some rough idea of signal strength,
although I  won't even try to guess how to convert the reported value into
db.

I'm not sure what "changing AGC" means.  Supposedly, the thing is
"Automatic", thus requires no setting.  Perhaps you can simply turn it on
or off.

What sort of values do you see for AGC?  If its boolean, then perhaps it
only reflects the status of AGC (on or off) rather than the control
voltage (gain).

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com