 Robotics / 20373
Re: Lego or Biscuit pc/Linux (for path following robot)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:26:53 GMT

At 08:53 PM 3/4/2003 +0000, Teoman Naskali wrote:
Hello all,

I have to build a robot for my thesis projet that will be able to follow a
line and inetrpret some graphical commands on the line (like left triangle
turn left, big circle wait 10 secs etc)

I was planning on modifying my remote controlled car, install a webcam on it
and have a long usb cable OR have it drag my laptop OR put a biscuit pc or
normal pc on it. The operating sysetem would be linux (probably an RT linux
for the extra power). (My laptop is a p4 1.6)

Then i saw lego mindstorms, and started wondering IS IT SERIOUS ENOUGH? Does
it have the power on its own to accomplish such a task?

The Lego Technic parts are serious enough. But the Lego RCX is not intended
for this kind of use. What you may want is JCX:

http://jcx.systronix.com/

Which has been used in autonomous vision robots at the University of Utah:
http://www.cs.utah.edu/classes/cs4710/teams.html

Look especially at Cielguard for the Hockeybots and Firesoft for the
Checker bot. Both of these use the CMUCam.

We are working very hard to start shipping the production JCX in March.

Bruce Boyes

Or can it be teleguided by a computer (robot sends images to the computer
which processes the images and controls the robot) (If possible the computer
can be dragged on wheels...)

    Besides how far can I use legos? Can i use them in my further studies,
like can 2 cameras be attached and effectively controlled so the robot is
aware of its 3D environnement. Can i do AI stuff on it?

I could buy a biscuit pc aswdell ( small pc 800mhz via cpu, everything
onboard, 10cm x 8cm) which would do me more good for learning  AI and image
processing for robotics. Please advise, i have to make a decision and start
my project which is due in 2 and a half months.

I would be glad if you send me any ideas on my project.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

A. Teoman Naskali

------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
   Real embedded Java and much more
      High speed 8051 systems