 Robotics / 20328
RE: Serial Infrared Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:01:14 GMT

http://www.rentron.com/Files/TX-IR.pdf

Substitute the TSOP-1140 for TSOP-1138.  The Max232 chip can be obtained as a
free sample from www.maxim-ic.com

All the remaining parts are items that can be ordered right off Reynold's
Electronics website (http://www.rentron.com)

A better solution would be one where a daughterboard uses a couple I/O lines on
the JCX and the carrier wave is generated on the fly.  This would allow one to
write programs for the JCX that could not only control an RCX, but also any
consumer IR device.  The phototrans could be used to record custom signals like
a learning remote.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Boyes [mailto:bboyes@systronix.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 2:29 PM
To: Steve Karg; lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Serial Infrared Tower

At 05:33 PM 2/12/2003 -0500, Steve Karg wrote:
Greetings!

I have a USB infrared tower that came with the Mindstorm • kit, and recently
got an older laptop without USB (for free).  I haven't seen • the RS-232
infrared towers for sale, and was wondering if anyone has • made a serial
circuit that mimics the tower that I can make for use on the laptop?

Rob Limbaugh was just communicating with me about that. It
should be pretty
easy, and I think some of the Lego references have schematics
or at least a
description. However I just looked and couldn't find them.

We'd like to see such a  circuit from JCX so that a JCX can
talk IR to the RCX.

We will give a $100 gift certificate to someone who produces
a working design.

Bruce

------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
   Real embedded Java and much more