 Robotics / 20298
RE: Customer service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:58:41 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Boyes [mailto:bboyes@systronix.com]

<SNIP>

But the quote was about customer service, and I think it matters not
whether it's a hamburger or a new car, people expect the same
quality of
service. We learned this years ago selling software. It
didn't matter if
the package was $50 or $500, people have almost identical
expectations
about customer service and support. I  know that may sound
crazy, but we
found it to be true. What this taught us is that the support on a $50
product can kill you. This is why there is an industry trend
to reduced
support, customer "call centers", endless waits on hold, etc.
It's hard to
provide $20 worth of support on a $50 network card.

As engineers, we can't and won't do that to our customers,
since we don't
want to be treated that way.

As a consumer, I don't find it fair that part of my high price is
because I'm helping to offset support costs when I may never need
support myself.

I'd much rather have the option of paying less up front with the
understanding I only have access to online FAQ's, KB articles,
utilities, and general warranty replacement/spare parts.

For all other things, charge per-incident for support.

<SNIP>

That also includes a CPU which can natively (meaning Java
byte codes are
its 'assembly' code) execute 3,000,000 Java byte codes per
second. You can
plug in boards for 8 or 16 more sensors or 4 or 8 more motors
and have the
resources to handle it. Plus add vision sensors, etc.

How much are add-ons?  How much is my long term commitment to
the JCX beyond the initial $500 purchase?  What do I have to spend
to take advantage of the JCX's abilities?

It doesn't matter how good/bad your service/support is if • you are the only
place the JCX comes from and supports it.

What do you mean  -- Lego Mindstorms come from one place and
they seem to
be doing fine, and Bill Gates has done pretty well with Windoze.

LEGO's support of software leaves much to be desired.  Piece replacement
is good...

MS has a Knowledge Base open to everyone.  They support their software for
free to an extent.  Beyond that, you can obtain support from them under a
support contract or on a per-incident basis.

In either case, there are support options throughout the community of
users and the general public.

Linux distributers are great examples of how to provide support and still
turn a profit without passing those support costs directly to all product
users.

<SNIP>

Comparable robots are $1500-$2000 and are nowhere near as
open and modular.

You'll start getting my attention when the JCX drops to around $200.

We will probably never be *price* competitive with 20-year old 8-bit
technology. An assembled 68HC11 HandyBoard is $300... It's
more likely the

Based on the features of the JCX compared to the HandyBoard, I'd rather
own a JCX.

<SNIP>