 Robotics / 20208
Re: Robot Arm Help - Gearing Techniques - FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 22:50:56 GMT

Using worms works best with other gears. The inherent gear reduction of the
worm gear is pretty good. I use the worm gear as a "work device" or
"business drive".....using it together with other gears to compliment the
overall gear train. So I'm really not sure how to answer your question. I
would suggest to consider the worm gear as an end output and not as a single
component of a gear reduction scheme. Although you could certainly use it in
that fashion.

Am I answering that correctly? Or am I addressing your question properly?

http://members.aol.com/mylegomaster/

In lugnet.robotics, PeterBalch <PeterBalch@compuserve.com> writes:
Eric

What is the relative efficiency of the different gear trains? Lego gears
seem to be rather inefficient. Are worms better or worse than repeated 8t=

to 40t?

Peter