 Robotics / 20142
Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:03:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Rob Limbaugh" <RLimbaugh@greenfieldgroup.com> writes:
In case nobody has noticed, the marketing for Mindstorms on the =
Education front has increased/improved, despite the decrease in the =
Consumer arena.  Take a look at some of the latest Pitsco catalogs.

The RCX and necessary electrical elements will exist for quite some =
time.  Schools are more likely to be long term sources of income to =
support the thousands they already spent on "Robolab" equipment.

Luckily the RIS appeared in the consumer market during the dot-com =
"boom" when anything "tech" was cool and adults purchased multiple sets =
(for themselves) because they could afford to.

If I had to choose between spending $200 on an RIS or $200 on an XBox =
system soley for a child's use (not my own), I'd spend it on the =
XBox--at least I know it will get used more than two or three times in a =
year, even though it isn't educational.

- Rob

I would have to flip the other way--I got my nephew a Spybot for Christmas
and he hasn't put it down yet.  His parents have a game platform which he
used to play on, but since Christmas, not so much.

I think that the robot thing isn't a fad, and I think for kids, who are
naturally inquisitive anyway and want to have fun learning and interacting
with something (why do kids love puppies so much), the RCX/Scout/Spybot are
great buys--video game platforms = fun but not much learning.

Anyway, my humble 2 cents.  We'll give the Spybot a few more months to see
if my nephew grows bored.

At this time he wants to come over to his uncle Dave's house and go head to
head in some Spybot missions though--I'll probably get trounced.

Dave K