 Robotics / 20138
RE: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:08:14 GMT

In case nobody has noticed, the marketing for Mindstorms on the Education front
has increased/improved, despite the decrease in the Consumer arena.  Take a look
at some of the latest Pitsco catalogs.

The RCX and necessary electrical elements will exist for quite some time.
Schools are more likely to be long term sources of income to support the
thousands they already spent on "Robolab" equipment.

Luckily the RIS appeared in the consumer market during the dot-com "boom" when
anything "tech" was cool and adults purchased multiple sets (for themselves)
because they could afford to.

If I had to choose between spending $200 on an RIS or $200 on an XBox system
soley for a child's use (not my own), I'd spend it on the XBox--at least I know
it will get used more than two or three times in a year, even though it isn't
educational.

- Rob