 Robotics / 20120
Re: Inverted Pendulum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:03:58 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Bodo Bauer <bodo@bivio.net> writes:
Hi,

I just stumbled over this site
http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/LAMIH/projets/pendule/english/index.html
and thought that may be nice pet project for myself to work on. To build
and program a robot balancing an inverted pendulum. First single, then
double... :)

Looking at the videos there is seems the bot needs quite a range to work
with, inspecially with the double pendulum.  I wonder if a shorter
distance will works as well. Also there is the question if the RCX has
enough brainpower to run the program. I did major in AI working with
artificial neural networks a long time ago, so this would be a nice
refresher for me. I'm just not sure if Lego is up to the mechanical
requirements and if the RCX (running brickOS) will be fast enough/has
enough memory to cover this task.

Did anybody try something like this before?

BB

It's been a while since I last was there, took me a while to find again and
the site has signs of having been abandoned, but http://brickbots.com had
some on-line competitions a year or two ago, one of which was an inverted
pendulum. See http://brickbots.com/pastview.asp?cid=24 for details on that one.

I think it's a pretty tricky problem, especially if you limit yourself to
NQC and standard LEGO sensors. But with some custom sensors, and especially
if you use legOS, you should be able to do it. Steve Hassenplug's Legway is
a good example, if you haven't seen it yet. It uses EOPD's from
www.hitechnic.com and legOS.

--
  David Schilling