 Robotics / 2005
Re: Glueing blocks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:17:36 GMT

I've successfully created mating surfaces by using a gel superglue.

To create the mating surface, create a flat surface (if one doesn't exist)
with epoxy.  Then spread the gel glue on the suface, put down a piece of
celophane wrap.  Then press a lego tile onto the surface and let set for a
few minutes.  Then remove the tile and let the glue dry.   Took a few
mistakes before I got it correct.  Alternate, is to use RTV rubber to make
a mold of a lego piece and then cast a resin piece to attach to your
non-lego piece.  This has served me well in non-lego model-making.

For connecting lego pieces to each other, I prefer a water-based glue like
the new clear Elmers brand glue.  The problem with this is that after
several years (>3) the glue becomes brittle and actually begins to cause
the model to fall apart.  I'm going to try a thinned silicone gel next.

Matt
medinfo@aros.net

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Janet and Carl McIver wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Schott, Wayne W (MED) <Wayne.Schott@amermsx.med.ge.com>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 30, 1998 1:06 PM
Subject: RE: Bumper Ideas Needed & Re: Positioning of 2 RCXs

Off topic:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a type of glue to use on Lego
bricks?

    ABS pipe cement primer is a solvent that works good, but is very
permenant.  I like glass or automotive sealers, as they are not so
permenant.  Depends on what I need.  When mating Lego to non-Lego parts,
such as motors and such, I use ordinary two part epoxy.  You can mold
impressions of the Lego parts onto non-Lego parts and then when you remove
the part you epoxied it to, you can snap the epoxied non-Lego part onto
another Lego piece.  Does this explanation make sense?