 Robotics / 20034
  Re: Land mine robot

(...) I'd say use sand, just don't use tracks because they clog up when turning. Use a four wheel chassis for stability with central pivot. Power only the front wheels and then independantly so you can steer. The rear wheels will then follow (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Land mine robot

(...) I've just thought of an even better system. Build a two wheel robot with a turntable on the top over the centre of rotation. Attach an arm to the turntable which links back to the rear wheels. You can then turn the front part through 90 degree (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Land mine robot

(...) Why even use sand at all? If the challenge is for mine detection, use a flat surface, and have the mines be attached to the underside. This allows for very simple drive systems, and no surface clues to show for the mines, or possible bias by (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Land mine robot

(...) Why underneath? A flat surface with paper discs taped down to represent mines would be fine. Then the light sensor could be used to detect them. After all, the point is really to find them without rolling over any while searching. You'd need (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Land mine robot

(...) I specified underneath to make it unlikely that the robot would detect them by either optical means (because I assumed that the challenge was for a non-visual method), and to prevent any cheating by a team using some form of IR flash to inform (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)