 Robotics / 19765
Re: Hammer Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:48:51 GMT

In the prototype I used string and winch to set the hammer.  I've decided
not to use it on the robot - string can too easily get caught and entangled
in stuff, especially if it goes up agianst another robot.

On the prototype it works surprisingly well, even though I used a small
winch.  When it is released the sting/winch is not that resistive, the gears
that are attached to the winch are connected to a differential that spins
freely.  The elastics pulling the hammer down easily overcomes any friction.

I never even thought of using a larger winch - I used the lego winch (and
elastic) that came in the Bungee Chopper (2854).  Using a larger winch would
have increased the speed in which the hammer could have been raised.

Last night I had a brake through.  I initally dismissed using pneumatics to
do this, although they are very powerful they are fairly slow, I was wrong.
I tried using a single large cylinder attached close to the rotation point
of the hammer and was very impressed with the result, it came down fast and
hard - as long as the pressure is high.  I'm now messing around with
positioning of the cylinder to achieve the best result and will probibly add
a second cylinder.  Of course now I have to make a motor driven pneumatic
switch and a pressure-regulated compressor - but thanks to other people
there are lots of designs on how to do this.

In lugnet.robotics, PeterBalch <PeterBalch@compuserve.com> writes:
Roy =

I thought about designing such a thing a while ago.

My decision was that I'd make something like a Roman ballista. I'd wind u=
a string on a winch to cock the hammer then unwind the string all the way=

back again. The catch would be released by another mechanism attached to
the winding motor when the the winding motor was fully unwound. My idea w=
as
that the string would be so loose that it wouldn't offer any resistance -=

unlike a gear mechanism.

I also thought about a much simpler idea:

Imagine the lid of, say, a peanut butter jar. The lid slowly turns and th=
string wraps around around it - one full turn cocks the hammer. As the
complete turn comes around, a "tooth" on the rim of the peanut butter jar=

lid nudges the string sideways so it falls off the edge of the lid and is=

free to unwind suddenly. Maybe a cutaway part would work better than a
tooth. As for Lego, well, the inner drum-shaped cores of the big chunky
tyres should work and the "tooth" could be a piece of axle held at 45
degrees to the rim.

However, note the "thought about" - any robot stuff that isn't actually
built DOESN'T COUNT.

Good luck

Peter