 Robotics / 19762
19761  |  19763
Subject:
Hammer Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:48:08 GMT

Roy

I thought about designing such a thing a while ago.

My decision was that I'd make something like a Roman ballista. I'd wind up
a string on a winch to cock the hammer then unwind the string all the way
back again. The catch would be released by another mechanism attached to
the winding motor when the the winding motor was fully unwound. My idea was
that the string would be so loose that it wouldn't offer any resistance -
unlike a gear mechanism.

I also thought about a much simpler idea:

Imagine the lid of, say, a peanut butter jar. The lid slowly turns and the
string wraps around around it - one full turn cocks the hammer. As the
complete turn comes around, a "tooth" on the rim of the peanut butter jar
lid nudges the string sideways so it falls off the edge of the lid and is
free to unwind suddenly. Maybe a cutaway part would work better than a
tooth. As for Lego, well, the inner drum-shaped cores of the big chunky
tyres should work and the "tooth" could be a piece of axle held at 45
degrees to the rim.

However, note the "thought about" - any robot stuff that isn't actually
built DOESN'T COUNT.

Good luck

Peter