 Robotics / 19722
RE: Using TIS and USB Tower on a Macintosh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:22:05 GMT

Hello,

According to what I've read, Robolab 1.5 will work with the USB tower on a Mac.
This leads me to believe that the Robolab CD comes with USB drivers for the
tower.

Emulators (as I understand them) work by mapping working resources to an
emulated port of similar function.  The Apple serial ports have the same
fundamental purpose and behavior as "IBM" serial ports and in both cases their
function has little to do with what is attached.  However, in the case of USB or
devices on a shared bus, the host OS must control communication to it, so there
is an emulated layer between the two.

A logical assumption is that if the USB tower drivers were installed from a
Robolab 1.5 CD, then that device might appear as an available USB device for
Virtual PC to use.  Then, RIS 2.0 may work with the USB tower within Virtual PC
on a Mac.

I have a Mac, Robolab 1.5, and a USB IR tower.  Unfortunately I don't have
Virtual PC, so I cannot test the idea.  Perhaps someone else can in the
meantime.

- Rob