 Robotics / 19708
Re: RCX Tank Base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 03:40:57 GMT

Should have posted this hear Peter,

A rotating disk with one or two teeth is much easier and very effective.
You can store a lot of energy that way.

Alas, unfortunately I consider myself to be somewhat of a Lego purist, I
look for almost pure Lego solution where I don't have to 'modify' bricks.
If I started buying non-Lego stuff I'm afraid my hobby might get
significantly more expensive, plus I live in a basement suite and don't have
room for another non-Lego hobby or any machinery to go with it...Maybe it is
time to get a house!

With an axe it's difficult to deliver energy fast enough. Maybe there would
be a way of winding up an elastic band then suddenly releasing it.

I realized that it would be more of a sledge hammer.  I keep debating
whether the blow should be delived straight down, angled, or horizontally.
If one were going up against another Lego machine the idea would be to brake
bricks apart and not brake pieces.  The Toronto group was been discussing
this problem recently.

I only have one motor to be able to wind up and elastic or pull back against
a spring.  Hey, you just gave me an idea.  When the motor turns in one
direction it winds up, when it turns in the other direction it releases it!
I kept thinking that the motor would have to turn just so far to wind it up
and then turn just a little more to release it (using your rotating disk
with one or two teeth idea).

Time to get building,
Roy

In lugnet.robotics, PeterBalch <PeterBalch@compuserve.com> writes:
I am currently working on an RCX Tank Base Two that is bigger with bett= • er
suspension, easier-turning different style of slip clutch, and some sor= • t
of cool Robot Warriors style of weapon like a chopping axe (which I hav= • e
no idea yet of how to build).

A rotating disk with one or two teeth is much easier and very effective.
You can store a lot of energy that way. My finger still hurts from where =
was experimenting yesterday with a 5cm steel bar on a cheap motor.

With an axe it's difficult to deliver energy fast enough. Maybe there wou=
ld
be a way of winding up an elastic band then suddenly releasing it.

Peter