 Robotics / 19370
Re: Please suggest which RIS version is good
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:16:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Arja, Veerababu" <VArja@softek.fujitsu.com> writes:
Hi,

   I am new to RIS, but want to catch along as soon as possible, can =
you suggest which RIS version (1.0, 1.5, or 2.0) is good to start with. =
I tried to find RIS 1.0 at some place but couldnt get it.

If anybody can help me out, I will appreciate it.

Try BrickLink:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=Robotics+Invention+System%2C

Some of the differences:

RIS v1.0 has an RCX w/external power jack that many find useful and includes
a serial IR tower.

v1.5 RCX (also stamped v1.0) has no external power jack; the set also
includes a serial IR tower.

v2.0 has no external power jack and includes a USB IR tower.

All 3 versions of the RCX are cross-compatible with the 2 different versions
of the Mindstorms firmware and RIS software.  If you plan on using NQC and
BrixCC, the RIS software is of little importance.

-Rob.