 Robotics / 19264
Re: LEGO MindStroms 2.0: Alternative transmission techniques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:26:15 GMT

Andreas Nauerz wrote:

The roboter should be able to drive through a whole building by itself.
During his drive he detects obstacles, walls etc.
Everything he detects he sents back to a computer.

The computer is the brain of this application.
He holds the program (the logic) of the whole application.
He gives the comand to the robot where to drive and accepts the feedback
from the robot.
Depending on what the robot sends he sketches a plan of the building.

So this roboter is controlled by a PC and acts as a little architect ;-)
We want to realize this via programming the robot with Java, e.g. a Java RCX
API.

First of all... is this whole project possible ?

Well, there are MANY difficult problems here.

1) Communications.  The RCX uses IR - which is pretty much line-of-sight
    only - so as soon as your robot drives under a table or around a
    corner, it'll have to navigate by itself, record all the data it
    collects and autonomously return to the PC to return results.

    Hence, you either need a third-party radio link - or you have to
    expect it to manage entirely by itself for long periods.

2) Navigation.  The problem of knowing where the robot is.  There have
    been many long discussions on this topic on this mailing list - and
    the bottom line is that NOBODY has a good solution.

    You can navigate by 'odometry' - measuring how much your wheels have
    turned - but that's hopelessly inaccurate over even a few tens of
    seconds.

3) JAVA.  The Java implementation for RCX runs all the software on the
    PC and just sends commands to the RCX to turn on motors, read
    sensors, etc.  As has been pointed out, your RCX will be out of
    communication with the PC pretty much all of the time - so this
    isn't going to work.  This would have to be done in NQC or (more
    likely) BrickOS/GCC.

This is an EXTREMELY difficult problem.

I don't think it's possible at all using an all-Lego solution.

I think it's a major challenge even with a free choice of technologies.
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net