 Robotics / 1914
Re: legOS and alternate operating systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:45:10 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote in message <7c785915.368a2d0d@aol.com>...
Why is the software associated with development so big?  70 megabytes for • the
legOs development system?  I think there is something fundamental I'm • missing
here.

The 70MB includes an awful lot of stuff - the C/C++ cross-compilers, native
compilers, debuggers, utilities such as make, tcl, awk, sed, ... and shells
like bash,
as well as several (!!!) copies of include files and support libraries. Many
of the
include files are quite short, and waste significant space in Windows disc
sectors.

The RCX is an H8, an 8 bit micro, certainly no more complicated than a • 68HC11.
Even the more complicated development packages are under 1 megabyte.  Is a • lot
of the program GUI?  It might be I'm spoiled by DOS.  I just don't see why
it's so big.

Win32 apps do seem to be too big these days and 70 MB is frighteningly huge,
but
the GNU stuff also includes a sort of unix-portability layer to bulk it
still further. The
trade-off is getting a system that works up and running quickly vs getting a
small
optimised one - I certainly prefer the former, so that instead of mucking
about with
the build environment, I can concentrate on playing^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hperforming
some serious work with legOS.

If we dump all the support stuff, and just distribute the compiler binaries,
I'm sure it'd
be a heck of a lot smaller, but I find some of the other stuff useful, and
I'm much
too lazy to work out exactly what is required and what can be skipped.

Gavin