 Robotics / 19098
RE: Following the Line Follower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:07:32 GMT

This is awesome info!

It would be interesting to see the results of following acute angles, zig-zags
(with combinations of acute, right, and obtuse angles), line-branching, and
wavy-lines leading to zig-zag lines.

Any plans to include those as well?

-----Original Message-----
From: c s soh [mailto:cssoh@singnet.com.sg]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 9:58 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Following the Line Follower

Hi, people

I have carried out an investigation into line following, a task that all
respectable bots are expected to be able to do.

Diagrams often show the idealized zigzag path that the robot is supposed
to take when following a line. However, I was skeptical that the bot
would actually travel in such idealized paths.

Curious to know how robots actually follow a line, I stuck a felt pen to
the front of the light sensor on my line follower.  I tried with bots
using a single light sensor as well as one equipped with 2 light
sensors.

The results are shown here
http://www.geocities.com/laosoh/robots/linefollow.htm

I daresay that you can use this tracing method for comparing different
mechanical designs of line following bots and for comparing different
line following programs. This gives an objective way to decide whether
the fine tuning (such as adjusting the threshold light values) you have
made on your bot has an effect on its performance - important when you
are preparing for competitive challenges.

One thing is certain, a bot with 2 light sensors is better than a bot
with just a single light sensor for going round sharp bends. I haven't
tried one with 3 light sensors, though but I should think 2 is enough.

Enjoy!
--
C S Soh

CSSoh's Lego Pneumatics