 Robotics / 18882
RE: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:32:10 GMT

W779897 contains one short, one medium, and one long lead for $13.50.
W779911 contains a touch sensor with one 6" lead and one 12" lead for $11.95.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Barnes [mailto:barnes@sensors.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 1:04 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available

To follow up on my initial post;

I have received information from LD today which indicates that Mindstorms
and other sundry 9v bits and pieces are not in immediate jeopardy. (Wipes
brow...)

Quite what has happened to 5111 is still a mystery. In the short term, I
will investigate the other options, such as Pitsco. They don't have a
picture of 970041 on the website but it is in the catalog and it seems to be
three of the very short wires which is of no use to me unfortunately. So I
will have to settle for 2 wires for $13.50 which is $3.38 per end, until the
fate of 5111 becomes clear.

So, on balance, I'm upbeat about the news that Mindstorms will be around for
a while. The representative from TLC who was at BrickFest to provide an
introduction to Spybotics went to some length to indicate that Spybotics
should not be confused with Mindstorms - "it doesn't say Mindstorms anywhere
on the box" he pointed out. I hope this means that whatever TLC may have up
its corporate sleeve for Mindstorms in the future remains true to the same
philosophy - "look, its the new Mindstorms, it doesn't say Spybotics
anywhere on the box!".

... and that we'll still need 9v wires to hook it all up with.

JB

I was very upset to discover that LD have withdrawn 5111 worldwide, when I
recently tried to place an order for more.

Please note that this puts an end to 3rd party sensors :(

I had asked LD to be polite enough to email me a warning that they were
going to do this and they had verbally agreed to do so. They did not! I am
disappointed that they could not have extended me that simple courtesy.

JB