 Robotics / 18814
Re: Bricklink Cart Operation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:04:39 GMT

Fut - lugnet.market.brickshops as the people who read that group will most
likely have a better answer for you.

I'll give it a go anyways.

When you go to a shop and put items in your shopping cart, you have only
created a list of items at that shop that you are interested in.  If you
close your browser or go to another shop (in the same window), this list
gone.  This cart (unlike, say Amazon) is not a perment type list.  Futher
more, this shopping cart does not remove items from the person's store (or
even from public viewing) so someone could come in after put the same items
in their cart and buy them before you.  In which case, you would not get
them, when you attempt to complete the order.

If you wanted a "wish list" and wanted to see which store had the most of an
item(s) that you are interested in, I would suggest using the Wanted area of
Bricklink. I believe the functions you asked about are all available.

http://www.bricklink.com/wantedList.asp

As to Wayne's question of how does he recall which stores he order from, you
can look at this page right below.  But keep in mind, this is only a place
to check on orders actually made, and not a place to see what stores you had
added items to your cart.  There is not a function to do that.

http://www.bricklink.com/orderPlaced.asp

Well I hope that was of some help.

-Jason

Jason Spears
MichLUG - http://www.michlug.org/
Lego Page - http://www.ozbricks.com/brickcentral/

In lugnet.robotics, "Rob Limbaugh" <RLimbaugh@greenfieldgroup.com> writes:
If you are using it wrong, then I've made the same error countless
times.  It frustrated me enough that I barely use it.

The cart is probably a temporary session variable or cookie and most
likely is "per store", as you suspect.

Besides adding a "wish list", it would be a great help if you could
build a "shopping list" that could then become the search/match criteria
(including your geographic location).  The objective would be to find
stores to do as much "one stop shopping" from as possible.  This could
also make searching the site less tedious, from a shopping point of
view.

It should be noted that Bricklink is great for what it was originally
designed to do, which is bridge people looking for parts with people
willing to sell parts on a per-piece basis or in customized bulk
quantities.  The database(s) were very well thought out and very
detailed.

-Rob