 Robotics / 18592
Re: Mindstorms Bleak Future - Bah! Purism Shmurism!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:26:00 GMT

Purism shmurism -- if you're a pragmatist, who cares whether Lego makes a
new part, or HiTechnicStuff, Jennifer Clark, Systronix, or some other
company, as long as it serves a need and works well? Why is everything Lego

I have a really hard time with this, myself.  I've spoken with both Jennifer and John Barnes (at HiTechnicStuff) about this exact subject.

I think I would consider myself a LEGO purist.  "If you can't do it with LEGO, try harder."

The following is a paid announcement...

At Systronix we are (finally) into the last stages of finishing the
production version of the turbocharged Lego-compatible computer, jcx
(www.jcx.systronix.com). How does a native Java CPU, 3,000,000 byte codes
per second, 54 nsec timer/counter resolution, multi-threaded Java
J2ME/CLDC, 32-bit integers or floating point numbers, 512 KBytes SRAM and
up to 2 MBytes Flash sound? A real language and your choice of open IDEs
for development? How about 16 or 24 Lego-compatible sensor inputs and 12
Lego compatible motor outputs in one 100 x 100 x 40 mm module?

What exactly is a LEGO compatable computer?

I agree, there are some things you just can't do with LEGOs.  (or maybe they just don't make that piece in the right color) But it's one thing to add sensors, and another to just toss in a new processor.

hmm.  Let me think about this.  I can use my old computer, but you're going to put in a new motherboard, processor, and RAM.

Yep, I guess you're right.  Mindstorms is alive and well!?

Steve