 Robotics / 18425
Re: Spybotics - A great disappointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:15:46 GMT

well I think that is a documentation problem. Its nice to learn children to
program - but with out the right steps it might even be a catastrof - in the
terms of future choices.

Learning children how to program is not a game, I haveself tried it - it
requires a supportive family who understand that this might take some time.
"Tim Go out and play" Can not be said. It requires  enthusiastic qestions
about the world  and nature outside, and much think about - at same time you
can not be boored.. I Mean that the way the school works today dosn't allow
people do free thinking (atleast here) and to try own problem solving.
However Minstorm is just that possibility BUT It takes that more for them as
is used to the consumer socity - IT HAS TO BE LEARNED! And I beleave that it
is one of the problems. You have to ask questions you have to ask what ...
if - and in the middle Tim gets the command  - Don't sit there all the time
.. "  Go out and play.  It takes that some one in that family sits with the
girl or the boy to explain the idea of a computer. Like what interaction is
what files is.

Or to mention a 12 year old girl. She has the computer that the family
optained for her - Now
Its a 2 Ghz computer it runs windows - butone thing since the dad sits on
another computer
all the time and dosn't play with her then she thinks its so booring sso
extreamly booring. And she dosn't like to learn, since she has seen the
picture from the wrong angle.
the relation to solve problems and these ideas of asking qustions and
problem solving isn't there. since school hasn't asked them..

Or in one word - It won't be linux with out a real Linux (Linus)
grandfather. Its the same thing here.. (Where linus learned how to program -
probably by learning how to ask qestions)

Hey, guys. LEGO is basically a toy for children, even if
ACCIDENTALLY we serious adults can make rather complex models
with Technic elements, even more complex ones with Mindstorms.
You are disappointed because you were expecting something that
is designed for your specific wishes.

(I'm quite pessimistic -- I'm afraid Mindstroms was not a big
success for TLC and they are trying to widen the market with
such systems like Spybotics as a last chance. This pessimism
leads much further -- the market prefers stupid customers etc
that does not fit into the topic.)