 Robotics / 1838
1837  |  1839
Subject:
Mindstorms CD and Soft Windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:44:08 GMT

I have tried Virtual PC running Windows 95 on my G3 Mac and it doesn't
quite work. The software itself runs (albeit with a bit of stuttering on
the audio). The problem is the connection to the IR tower. The software
doesn't recognize that the tower is connected, most likely because one
of the signals is not being passed through to the program. I made sure
that all signals are present on the cable, so in my case at least, the
problem is not the hardware. I contacted Connectix (makers of Virtual
PC) and they said that VPC doesn't support IR transmitters yet. They are
interested in making VPC work with Mindstorms, but gave no indication of
when they might get around to doing it.

I don't have Real PC, so I don't know if it works or not.

If you want to use the Mindstorms set with your Mac there is software
from Lego to do so. It is available from Lego Dacta, which is the school
branch of Lego. The software is called RoboLab
(http:www.lego.com/dacta). I is available in the US from Pitsco
(http://www.pitsco-legodacta.com/html/robolab.html). Unfortunately it is
on back order now and will take a while to get. Check out the following
for more on using Mindstorms with the Mac
http://fredm.www.media.mit.edu/people/fredm/mindstorms/index.html

To run Robolab on a G3 Mac you may need one or both of the following
updates:
http://til.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n10972
http://til.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n10974

Hope this helps. Ask if you have any questions.

-Earl Waldin