 Robotics / 18310
  Re: optical mouse chips as vision sensors?

(...) Right - you only get translational motion - not rotation. However, you could use two of these contraptions - on on each side of the robot (or one on the front and the other on the back) and thus derive the rotational speed from the difference (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: optical mouse chips as vision sensors?

(...) Hmmm... I don't see how that would work. How would a single sensor be able to differentiate between rotational movement and straight forward & back movement? I suppose you would be able to guess since you would know what state the robot was in (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: optical mouse chips as vision sensors?

Nevermind... I was assuming it would be mounted to the left or right of center (thus the rotation would still show up as forward or reverse). After thinking about it a moment, it occurs to me that by mounting the sensor in front of or behind the (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: optical mouse chips as vision sensors?

(...) The mouse's camera chip tells you how fast the beast is moving forwards/backwards and how fast left/right - as two separate sets of numbers. If you mounted it on a boom (say) six inches ahead of the wheels of a typical two-wheel-plus-caster (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: optical mouse chips as vision sensors?

(...) Yes - mathematically, you could still do it with the mouse sensor off to the side of the robot (but not with it dead center between the wheels) - however the sensitivity of the chip to small lateral movements probably wouldn't be enough to (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)