 Robotics / 18315
Re: optical mouse chips as vision sensors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:26:37 GMT

Mike Payson wrote:
Nevermind... I was assuming it would be mounted to the left or right of center
(thus the rotation would still show up as forward or reverse). After thinking
about it a moment, it occurs to me that by mounting the sensor in front of or
behind the axis rotation will show up as left or right motion.

Yes - mathematically, you could still do it with the mouse sensor off to
the side of the robot (but not with it dead center between the wheels) - however
the sensitivity of the chip to small lateral movements probably wouldn't
be enough to make that work in practice.  Sticking it out on a sprung
skid (to keep it in close proximity with the ground) something like 6"
out in front or behind the robot makes more sense.

I guess if you prefer a skid to a caster as the third point of contact with
the ground then you could dispense with the spring and just have two wheels
and the mouse in contact with the ground with the center of gravity of the
robot just far enough forward of the wheels to prevent it from tipping up
under accelleration.

Stopping fluff accumulated from the floor from blocking the sensor may be
tricky - and I don't know about driving over carpet with this arrangement -
the depth-of-focus issues for the camera in a deep-pile carpet may present
a practical problem.  However, on a clean wood or vinyl floor, it should
work just fine.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net