 Robotics / 1830
1829  |  1831
Subject:
Sensor ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 00:22:18 GMT

Looking at some of the ideas for multiplexing touch sensors gave me a couple
of ideas - I may not get around to constructing these anytime soon so if
someone wants to run with them I'd sure like to hear how you did.

Idea #1 - Whisker sensors using 'nose plates' and a stiff metal whisker
mounted inside a conducting ring.  Use multiple whiskers with appropriate
resistors on each switch so you can recognize individual contacts.

Idea #2 - Same kinda setup except use mercury switches to create a level
sensor.

I threw together one of the thermistor sensors the other day - just cut one
of the long plate to plate leads and soldered the thermistor to the wires -
stuck it inside one of the barrel connectors and sealed it with epoxy.
Works great - cost $2 - minimal fuss.

Have fun.
Rodney