 Robotics / 18275
    Re: Navigation using landmarks (Was: Re: lasers and RCX) —Mike Payson
   Just use the bottom half of the mouse, trimmed as much as possible, as a skid plate. It will need to be mounted to allow vertical movement, but it should work alright. This wouldn't solve the spin issue, but the clearance shouldn't be a problem. A (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Navigation using landmarks (Was: Re: lasers and RCX) —Steve Baker
   (...) Yes - I was thinking of some kind of spring-loaded arm pressing the mouse's underside against the ground. (...) For a Killough platform, you have a fundamental problem. That type of drive has three degrees of freedom (well - it *ought* to have (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Navigation using landmarks (Was: Re: lasers and RCX) —John Barnes
   I see all this nice stuff about trimming mouse bottoms and mounting the device off of the central steering axis and stuff to try and catch rotation, but I haven't spotted the posting about how people are actually getting the x and y values from the (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: Navigation using landmarks (Was: Re: lasers and RCX) —Ralph Hempel
   (...) Nothing yet. I have a guy in England that's trying to use pbForth to do I2C comms. As I see it, there are two possiblilities here. One is a bit-bang interface on a sensor input port. Tricky to do with pbForth because it allows the normal 1 (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Navigation using landmarks (Was: Re: lasers and RCX) —John Barnes
   I was hoping, since the thread was already onto how to modify and mount the mouse guts, that it would have been preceeded by a successful attempt to interface the little beast. Since I already know quite a lot about how tedious it is to get data (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Navigation using landmarks (Was: Re: lasers and RCX) —Steve Baker
   (...) I don't think anyone has actually *tried* this yet - but it's still worth discussing the *other* issues since we wouldn't want to go to the hassle of ripping apart mice until it's evident that it *could* work. The data stream from the mouse is (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)