 Robotics / 18239
Re: Navigation using landmarks (Was: Re: lasers and RCX)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:58:08 GMT

This thread seems to have been going on for such a while I've forgotten
where it started. Was the original question: how does my robot know where
it is in a room?

Has anyone suggested ultrasonic (or audio) "beacons" in each corner of the
room?

The (say) four beacons A, B, C, D produce squeaks at intervals - say A,
100mS, B, 100mS, C, 100mS, D, 1sec. The robot measures the time difference
between successive squeaks.

If say the time difference between receipt of A and B is 98mS then the
robot knows it is on a particular hyperbola. The time differences A-B, A-C,
A-D, B-C, B-D and C-D each specify other hyperbolae. Where the hyperbolae
intersect is where the robot is - approximately. There are problems with
path lengths round furniture, etc. but it should be good enough.

(In the days before GPS I worked on radio navigation software that used a
commercial system like this - I think it was called Hyperfix. We had to
worry about path lengths through rain and fog.)

Peter