 Robotics / 18238
Re: Friction on Rotation Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:55:17 GMT

Yes, Gregory, I'm sure. When I mention the sensor I mean the whole thing,
not only the eletronics part.
I tested both sensors and I tried to tilt the axle to test the behaviour you
mentioned. After playing with it a little, it seens the casing don't have
much slack to allow the rotating part to rotate freely. So it has some
friction, which becomes worst when the axle is a bit off. To be short, it is
probably an assembling problem. The grey and blue parts were glued too
tight.

By the way, thanks Bob, for the sensors internals tip. That gave me some
confidence to try to solve the problem without fear of damaging the sensor.
In fact I have no courage to disassemble it. :) But that info will be useful
if I try to build my own sensors in the future.

I found one solution without disassembling the sensor. I just connected one
motor to it and let it run for a long time. I used the old style 9V motor
(it's faster) but it could be done with the RIS motor and some gear up. The
sensor even became a bit hot due to friction. Sometimes I tilted the axle a
little to force some slack.

It is still not perfect as the other one but it is much better now. I will
probably repeat the process again later. Michael, you can try that if you
can't change yours.

I agree the best solution would be to contact Lego, but here in Brazil,
there is no way to replace it...

Thanks for you all,

Mauro Vianna

"J G Gregory" <jgg@ultranet.com> wrote in message
Are you sure it is the sensor itself?  We have found that the axis is • often
"off" a bit from canonical LEGO spacing, and if built into a structure,
binds quite a bit.  But if you assemble it so that the body (blue) of the
sensor can "float" with respect to the axis, then it works fine.

The test would be to simply turn it with an axle by hand.  If it doesn't
feel free in that case, then it is a faulty or damaged part.  I assume you
have done this, but thought I would mention this common problem for the
lurkers.

--Jack Gregory