 Robotics / 18132
18131  |  18133
Subject:
Lasers, et al...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:20:57 GMT

    Thanks for all of your replies.  I guess my main intent was to make
sure I wasn't going to fry my light sensor by pointing a laser at it.
I'm assuming laser pointer strength beams aren't powerful enough to harm
the sensor.  All of the links have been very helpful, especially the
links concerning powering the lasers WITH the RCX.
    Also, has anyone built a homebrew  sensor that uses a slotted wheel
, emitter and light sensor (just like your computer mouse), as a
rotation sensor?  I've seen bump sensors made from old mice parts, but
I'm wondering if anybody's been able to salvage any OTHER parts of the
mouse. Cheap mice are $1.99 at Fry's  and you'd get 2-3 bump sensors and
2 rotations sensors.  Anybody done this?
    Lastly, and I should probably make this a separate thread so replies
would be easier, but I also have this small collection of CUE CATS
sitting in my drawer, harvested from radio shack and friends with
subscriptions to WIRED.  Anybody hooked up a cue cat to the rcx and used
it as a sensor?

--
Dan Novy
Visual Effects Technical Supervisor