 Robotics / 18091
Re: Even better, RIS 1.5, $99.99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:29:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Jones, James" <jonesj5@ocps.k12.fl.us> writes:
Even more important:  Why is Lego marking down the RCX 50%?  Are they
discontinuing this?

What is the story?  I can't believe that Spy-botics is replacing this:
It doesn't have the "juice."

Thoughts?

I am certainly no expert on the RCX, but here is some conjecture based upon
some pieces of "evidence."

First, the RCX pictured on the LEGO Shop@Home web site is the 1.0 version.
Second, the LEGO Outlet (at least the one in Georgia) is selling the RCX 1.0 on
sale too. Third, can the 1.0 version RCX be upgraded to the 2.0 version RCX?

Assuming that the 1.0 RCX is taking up storage space and the 2.0 RCX is better
(except for the DC/AC plug that exists on the 1.0 but not the 2.0 RCX), then
maybe LEGO is trying to get rid of something they no longer intend to package
and ship in sets.

I learning about bits and pieces of LEGO over the years I have it in my mind
that large quantities of any one piece of anything Lego makes in made in quite
high volumes and stored. Then when a set is designed and packaged, the pieces
are assembled (sorted into packaging groups) and boxed. This is the
funstion of the fulfillment centers.

Assuming the RCX is the same way, hundreds of thousands (?) where manufactured
then stored in some manner. After the Mindstorms 1.0 sets were created, a
number less than the number of RCX's produced, the extra RCX's we individually
boxed or packaged with the sevice side in mind. LEGO service is exceptional,
one of the best among all companies, and I am certain they had extra on hand
for RCX's that didn't work when they arrived in the Mindstorms Sets, or
malfunctioned.

At some point Lego may have decided they have to get rid of the 1.0 version in
favor of the 2.0 version.

Unless, an employee comes forward with an authorized statement. We may never
know. But I can assure you this. I don't think Mindstorms is going away any
time soon. The school systems continue to migrate to them from what ever else
they were using. Colleges and Universities are adopting them in their programs
at a growing rate. Interest in robotics is expanding, and will only continue to
expand. LEGO would be folish to cut this off now.

Of course, if any of this is wrong, I appologize, but this is presented as
conjecture based upon observation and comment from others.

Todd